Today marks exactly 6 months since we published our first changelog, way back on May 5th 🎉. The product has come a long way in that time, and it's fun to look back on all that we've shipped. Onwards!
Sandbox mode: test notifications without sending them
Sometimes you don't want a message to be sent in a local or testing environment, but you do want the ability to debug your messages and see what might have gone out. Our new "sandbox mode" enables you to generate and preview messages for a given channel, without sending them to your downstream provider for delivery. Sandbox mode is great for when you want to test a channel's output, but want your messages to end up at
/dev/null instead of actually sending live notifications through that channel.
You can enable sandbox mode via your channel configuration from the dashboard today and it's supported across SMS, push, and email channels.
Autogenerate plaintext emails
Writing both an HTML and plaintext template for your emails can be a tedious process. To speed things up, you can now generate the plaintext template straight from the HTML you've crafted, automatically.
All new email templates have this feature enabled by default from today. You'll see the generated plaintext content in the editor and in the preview. If you want to change the setting, you can do so from the plaintext view in the email template editor by toggling the "automatically generate plaintext" switch.
Fixes and improvements
- 🌱 We added the ability to enable email open and link tracking within supported email providers. You'll see the options inside the environment configuration for your provider and they will default to "off" (don't track).
- 🌱 You can now rename environments that you have created from the environments list view in the dashboard.
- 🌱 We now send over the workflow key as a tag, or category to the downstream email provider. This makes it easier to do segmentation and analysis of your emails.
- 👀 We improved the timeline design and debugger blank state in the messages view.
- 👀 We made the wording consistent for when you're committing unstaged changes to an environment.
- 🐛 We fixed a bug whereby you couldn't create an environment with the same name as one that was deleted.
- 🐛 We fixed an interesting edge case in our notification engine that affected test runs in very particular cases.